Kindred Ink Writers Initiative
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I Wish I Could Write

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jae Baeli
Admin
Jae Baeli

Number of posts : 103
JOB/HOBBIES : Author, Editor, Artist, Webmaster, Singer-Songwriter
FAVORITE AUTHORS : Dean Koontz, Jeff Lindsey, Laramie Dunaway,Darian North, Richard Dawkins, Raymond Obstfeld
GENRES IN WHICH I WRITE : Novels, Stories, Technical, Business, Academic, Scientific, Copy, Scripts, Journalism, Memoir, Humor, Essay, Blog, Reviews, Poetry, Lyrics
Registration date : 2008-11-22

I Wish I Could Write Empty
PostSubject: I Wish I Could Write   I Wish I Could Write Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 1:12 pm

When most people say "I wish I could write," they are referring to the ability to compose--usually, prose. Since I am a writer by vocation and by perhaps genetic predisposition, when I say "I wish I could write" I mean longhand. I wish I could pick up a pen or pencil and scribble words on the pages of a journal as I used to. But I can't. Not for much longer than a few sentences, anyway. I have horrible penmanship (or Penwomanship).

Somehow, as the years have gone by, my longhand muscles have atrophied. I actually get hand cramps, and the next day, can't even read what I scribbled on a Post-it the night before. I suspect some of this decline is through disuse-- with the evolution of the writing instrument--but it's not as though there were no typewriters when I was a young writer. Contrary to the grumblings of my midlife crisis, I'm not THAT old. I used typewriters quite a bit.

But I also wrote longhand, in journals and on steno-pads, and legal pads. I haven't kept a handwritten journal since about 1990. The allure of my fingers flying across the keys that placed uniformly neat and legible words on a page at a rate closer to the speed of my thoughts, was at once too seductive to ever allow me passage back to the drudgery of longhand.

And it's a good thing, too, because my penmanship is like the footprints of worker ants through ink. Most self-respecting graphologists would analyze it and pronounce me criminally insane.
Back to top Go down
http://jaebaeli.com

I Wish I Could Write
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kindred Ink Writers Initiative :: The Writing Life :: Eccentricities-
Jump to: